Johnny's Pages
Old S.A.R. Shunter's Memories
      

RETURN to Classic Railfan's Pics MENU
Page last updated:  21 December, 2013


Click for HOME page



JACK'S  S.A.R.  RAILCARS



BELOW  ON  THIS  PAGE

Goto S.A.R. 55 Class Railcars  and  buttons/buttons_sar_55_class_railcars.gif

In 1924, the South Australian Railways (SAR) decided to order a group of railcars in order to continue services at country stations that didn't have enough passenger numbers to make those services financially viable. J.G. Brill were contracted to supply twelve railcar chassis, which would be mated to bodies constructed by the SAR's own Islington Workshops. Eventually these railcars entered service during 1924 and 1925 as the Model 55 railcar class, and overnight these trains were a success.  
When first built the 55s and 75s worked on country lines around South Australia up until their withdrawal from service and featured a brown livery. To celebrate the 80th anniversary of the SAR in 1936, all Model 55s and 75s still in service were given a repaint into a green and cream livery-which they wore until retirement. Later on yellow stripes were added to the front to increase visibility.

For more info from Wikipedia:  Click HERE....  



.. click on the small picture to view a larger picture ...

S.A.R.  55 Class Railcars
(Commonly known as Tin Hares)

Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hare 8,  x. 

Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hare 8,  x. 


Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hares 8, 6. 

Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hares 15,  x. 


Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hares 13, 9, Semaphore.

Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hares 9, 13.  Semaphore.


Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hares  8, 46. Adelaide Station.


Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hares 8, 10. Adelaide Station.

Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hares 8, 9. Adelaide Station.


Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hares 8, x.  Tonsley.

Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hares 8, x.


Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hares 13, x.

Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hares 13, x.


Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hares 8, x.  Brighton.

Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hares 8, x.


Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hares 6, 11.

Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hare 15, 4. Dry Creek.


Click HERE for larger picture
Mail car new.

Click HERE for larger picture
The mail car bit worse for wear here.


Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hare No 9 towing 2 horse drawn horse trams. 

Click HERE for larger picture
Tin Hare No 9 towing 2 horse drawn horse trams. 


Bit of info about those horse drawn trams towed behind the Tin Hare.

The South Australian Railways (SAR) reached Victor Harbor in 1864, when a railway connected pier was constructed. In 1867 this pier was extended to reach Granite Island, the resulting link became known as "The Causeway". The railway line continued onto and around the northern edge of the island to where a jetty was constructed. Although railway goods vehicles were routinely horse hauled on this line, no passenger service was offered until 1894, when the SAR decided to utilise an unused horse-drawn tram to offer a passenger service. From 1900, the horse tramway was operated by private contractors, George and Frank Honeyman, on behalf of the SAR. By the 1950s, the causeway was in need of repair, but a dispute between the operators and the local council meant that in 1954 the causeway was reconstructed without rail tracks. The service continued to operate on Granite Island itself until 1956, when the cars were disposed of. Between 1956 and 1986, a rubber tyred train provided service across the causeway. The 150th Jubilee of South Australia was due to be celebrated in 1986, and a fund was established for special projects to mark the jubilee. Reinstatement of the horse tram was nominated as such a project, and the bid was successful. 
Replica tram cars were built, tracks were relaid and service recommenced on 14 June 1986.

To see a Victor Harbor Horse drawn tram picture of today.  Click HERE....  


Return to top of page


.. click on the small picture to view a larger picture ...

S.A.R.  BRILL  75  Class RAILCARS

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcars above Keswick. Showground road.

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 46 Adelaide Station.


Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 31. Adelaide Statuion

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 51.  Adelaide Station.


Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 55.  Adelaide Station.

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 55 with trailer 213. Adelaide.


Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 51 ARM Special at Hamely Bridge.

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 51 ARM Special at Riverton.
Note: Shunting over in yard.


Click HERE for larger picture
Raicar 47 and trailer 206.

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 31, xx, xx.


Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 52, xx.

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 52 trailer 210, xx.


Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 58 and trailer 46.

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 58.


Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 40.


Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 45.

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 45, xx. near North Adelaide.


Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 43, xx.  near Dry Creek.

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcars 36, xx, xx, xx.


Click HERE for larger picture
Raiclar 55, xx.

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 33.


Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 33.

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 44, xx.


Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 37, xx, xx.  Mile End.

Click HERE for larger picture
railcar 35, xx.


Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 44, xx.

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 58, xx.


Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 54 wit trailer 205.

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcar 54, xx.


Click HERE for larger picture
Railcars 37, xx, xx.

Click HERE for larger picture
Railcars 36, xx, xx.


Return to top of page


.. click on the small picture to view a larger picture ...


3000 class Railcar

The "3000" class railcar diesel electric railcars are the main workhorse of TransAdelaide's suburban passenger operations in Adelaide, South Australia. There are two variants: 3000 series, featuring a cab at each end and capable of running as a single car, and the 3100 series with one cab which are semi-permanently coupled into two car sets. Seventy cars were introduced into service between 1987 and 1996 with the first 20 built by Comeng between 1987 and 1989 numbered #3001-#3008 and #3101-#3112, and the remaining 50 built by Clyde Engineering between 1992 and 1996 numbered #3009-#3030 and #3113-#3140. All 70 cars were built in Dandenong, Victoria.



Click HERE for larger picture
A new 3028 Adelaide Yard.