Johnny's Pages
Old S.A.R. Shunter's Memories
      


Back to Naracoorte Page






NARACOORTE
South East of South Australia


The late 1940's and early 50's S.A.R. Naracoorte memories.
THESE  PICTURES
Courtesy Cliff's son, Rodney Nankervis

Cliff born: 1918 at Wallaroo. 
Died due to vehicle accident: 2005 Aged 87 years.
Started in S.A.R. Adelaide
Later transferred to Naracoorte.
Loved using his brownie box camera.

CLIFF  NANKERVIS  PHOTO  COLLECTION



What's below on this page


Click to goto

Click to goto

Click to goto

Click to goto


Click to goto

Click to goto

Click to goto

Click to goto


... click on the small picture to view a much larger picture ...


TAKEN  IN  THE  1940's

(2)  Roger Joseph Manouge
Railway Clerk

Where worked in the S.A.R.: 

Wolseley:      SE 1940s-early 1950s
Port Lincoln: early 1950 to mid 1950s
Gladstone:     mid 1950s 
Snowtown:   mid 1950s -  late 1960
Adelaide:      Relief work 1960 
Dry Creek:    retired 1984. 
Roger passed away 1989 aged 70.

Click HERE for larger picture
Left to Right:
(1)  Cliff Nankervis, (2)  Roger Manouge,  (3)  J. Molloy,
At bottom:  (4)  Ron Prince.  (
Electrician)

Return to top of page


... click on the small picture to view a much larger picture ...


NARACOORTE  CREW  IN EARLY 50's


Click HERE for larger picture
Left to Right
(1)  Don Cameron. (Kingston Porter),  (2)  Trevor Gale. (Clerk),  (3)  George Pepper.  (Railcar Driver),  
(4)  Ken Shurdington.  (Porter), (5)  Don Gillett.  (Driver),  (6)  Cliff Nankervis.  (Guard),
(7)  ....................  (8)  Pat O'Farrell.  (SM),  (9)  Ralph Beneke.  (Driver),
(10)  Graham Hanrahan.  (Fireman),  (11)  Harry Huckel.  (Porter). 

Return to top of page


No larger picture

... click on the small picture to view a much larger picture ...


OLD  NARACOORTE  YARD


Click HERE for larger picture
Old Naracoorte Yard taken from Home signal
Mt Gambier end of yard.


Click HERE for larger picture
Old Naracoorte yard taken from water column.
Woseley end of yard.


Click HERE for larger picture
Taken from Train Order signal looking towards Mt Gambier end of yard.

Return to top of page


... click on the small picture to view a much larger picture ...


RAILWAY  DAM  AT  NARACOORTE
Being filled in for the new Broad Gauge yard

Click HERE for larger picture
Before the first load of filling

Click HERE for larger picture
First load of filling


Click HERE for larger picture
Taken from Overhead water tank
Click HERE for larger picture
Reservoir partly filled in

Click HERE for larger picture
Taken from Home signal, part filled in

Click HERE for larger picture
Reservoir now filled in

Return to top of page


... click on the small picture to view a much larger picture ...


BEGINNING  OF  NARACOORTE  NEW  YARD

Click HERE for larger picture
Commencement of New Yard

Click HERE for larger picture
View of yards looking towards Mt Gambier


Click HERE for larger picture
View of New yard
Click HERE for larger picture
View of yard looking towards Wolseley

Click HERE for larger picture
Turntable on narrow gauge trucks
Click HERE for larger picture
Turntable in position

Click HERE for larger picture
Working on Strengthening the bridge
Click HERE for larger picture
Working on Strengthening the bridge

Click HERE for larger picture
Working on Strengthening the bridge

Click HERE for larger picture
Ballast train pulling into yard

Click HERE for larger picture
Ballast train in yard
Click HERE for larger picture
Later view of New Yard

Click HERE for larger picture
Ballast train working in yard
Click HERE for larger picture
Working on Passenger Platform

Click HERE for larger picture
New Yard taken from water column ready for official opening.

Return to top of page


... click on the small picture to view a much larger picture ...


NARACOORTE  STATION and YARD
ON Official Opening day Wednesday 1st February 1950

This new work was declared open by the Governor, Sir Willoughby Norrie, on Wednesday, 1st February 1950. Already visiting the South East, the Governor joined the train conveying the official guests at Frances in time for lunch in the Pullman dining car Adelaide. This train of Joint Stock sleeping cars, and sitting car, the Commissioner's Car Murray with its observation end trailing, all in a rich maroon livery was hauled by a gleaming black 4+8+4, No. 525, named in honour of the Governor.

Click HERE for larger picture
First broad gauge train entering Naracoorte yard
on Official opening day. 1st February 1950.

Click HERE for larger picture
Pulling into Platform for official opening


Click HERE for larger picture
Standing at Naracoorte platform.

Click HERE for larger picture
General view of Naracoorte Station.


Click HERE for larger picture
Dias on Platform

Click HERE for larger picture
Crowd gathering at official opening.


Click HERE for larger picture
Official opening.

Click HERE for larger picture
523 with Unknown

Return to top of page


... click on the small picture to view a much larger picture ...


DERAILMENT  AT  AVENUE

Click HERE for larger picture
Trucks over on their side
Click HERE for larger picture
Salvaging goods from trucks

Click HERE for larger picture
Click HERE for larger picture

Click HERE for larger picture
Louver van on side
Click HERE for larger picture
Accident train rerailing louver van

Click HERE for larger picture
GB on its side
Click HERE for larger picture
GB's undergear on its side

Click HERE for larger picture
GB on its side.
Click HERE for larger picture
Lifting GB onto level keel.

Click HERE for larger picture
Showing GB nearly upright.
Click HERE for larger picture
GB packed up over line.

Click HERE for larger picture
All trucks placed back on track.
Click HERE for larger picture
Repairing track after everything retailed.

Click HERE for larger picture
Those who worked the derailment.
Click HERE for larger picture
Per-way gang

Return to top of page


... click on the small picture to view a much larger picture ...


ANOTHER  DERAILMENT ELSEWHERE

Click HERE for larger picture
Head on collision near the SA & Vic border.


Extract from 'The Recorder'.

Accident occurred at Serviceton. The loudest noise occurred at 2 minutes before 3am on 07/09/1951. The east bound Overland had changed locomotives of the A2 class numbered 953 and 948 at the head. Its next move would have been to move forward and then reverse into the adjoining siding to allow the west bound Overland to enter the stations. That train was hauled by A2 engines 977 and 968 and, although the signals were against it and displaying stop indications the train entered the yard and cannoned into the stationery train. On the moving train the bulk mail car telescoped with the leading sleeping car “Coliban” both vehicles being derailed. On the stationery train the bulk car and the leading sleeping car “Baderloo” were telescoped and the leading end of the sleeper damaged. All four locomotives were condemned for scrapping. 
The SAR 107 ton crane came from Tailem Bend and VR sent the 60 ton crane from North Melbourne. Passengers were transferred to opposite trains and the trains reversed. To haul the Victorian train two of the R class steam engines were dispatched from Dimboola to Serviceton. As a result of the performance of the R class locos on the run to Melbourne VR allocated the Overland as a duty for R class engines until the arrival of the diesel electric a few years later. The fireman on one of the damaged engines died in the impact but none of the 500 passengers was injured seriously. 

Return to top of page


Back to Naracoorte Menu